Reading Profile

Hello Readers' Advisory...readers!

In case you haven't checked my "About" area, I'm Cat. I am an Access Services library Assistant at Hancock County Public Library, where I've been for the past five years and change. I am also the co-managing editor for Embodied Effigies, a creative nonfiction online literary magazine. Needless to say, I read nonfiction pretty heavily--mostly essays, memoirs, and personal stories. However, just like Saricks quoted from Deutsch's PLA panel, "Patrons don't worry about Dewey when they're looking for a good book to read."(9)

I enjoy YA, but I've found myself drifting from it--mostly because I'm having trouble relating to it. I couldn't get into the latest John Green, and I've previously enjoyed all of his work. I also enjoy fantasy, specifically George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire and Andrzej Sapkowski's tales of The Witcher. For a long time, I've followed the literary careers of Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child, who write the Agent Pendergast series together, as well as Laurell K. Hamilton (my guilty pleasure), who writes the Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series.  Right now, I'm reading Ian McEwan's Nutshell. On my to-read pile, I've got Holly Black's The Cruel Prince, and The Moth Presents: All These Wonders.

Comments

  1. Awesome profile! How neat that you're an editor for a non-fiction magazine. That sounds awesome! I've just gotten started reading more non-fiction short stories. Also, I love the Anita Blake series, but I've never finished it. I keep re-reading the first few!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first few are the best few, in my opinion. Hamilton has hit another good stride in some of the latest books, but there are some that are more difficult to get through in the middle of the series. My favorite is Obsidian Butterfly, but having reread it recently, I realized I had blocked out some of the more disturbingly gory parts--which were hard for me to read as I had a six-month-old (now two-year-old) at the time. Family can make us much more concerned with mortality in books like that, for some reason.

      Delete
  2. Can I just jump up and down at The Cruel Prince? I had actually never read any books from her, but all of my friends were RAVING about that book, so I gave it a try. I did what I never do and actually put it down around 60 pages in, because it hadn't gotten interesting to me, read another book, and then came back to it. But then it got SO GOOD! I'd love hear what you think of it!

    (Also, I'm a big Ian McEwan fan, but I haven't read Nutshell yet--is it good??)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just started Nutshell, but I really like it so far. It's sort of Hamlet, but from the POV of a fetus. Which is just an interesting take altogether. It's possibly going to be the first book chosen for a new book club starting at my library, so I thought I'd get a head start.

      I LOVE Holly Black. She is, hands down, the best author I've read for fairy/faery/Fae/Fey lore. I have to get started on that one, because I didn't even realize it was out and then saw it in our library's processing area and immediately put a hold on it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Kirkus Style Review: Nox

Week Six Prompt: Integrated Advisory and Promoting the Emotional Genres

Week 12 Prompt: Nonfiction Matrix